During the Middle Ages, Madrid had crosses on many of its streets, especially in Calle Calvario, where the Via Crucis passed, starting from San Francisco el Grande church. These crosses were used as milestones that were placed at entrances to cities and towns, as well as ancient road intersections.
Between 1805 and 1808, the Mayor of the city, Jose Marquina y Galindo, also called, the “atheist mayor”, ordered to remove all the crosses that were spread throughout the streets and squares of Madrid.
The Puerta Cerrada (Closed Doors) Cross, was the only one saved, and reportedly this was because it was considered as a “symbol for the conquest of Madrid, by the Christians”
This cross, was also functioning as vents for the subterranean stream called Abroñigal which supplied drinking water to Madrid from about 1619 to 1858, when the Canal de Isabel II, started operating.Tags:andando, bares, caminando, centro de madrid, closed door, cross, españa, foto, mahou tower, fotos, europa tower, Middle Ages, paseos turísticos, paseos turísticos, puerta cerrada cross, terrazas, terrazas, travel, turismo, turismo, viajes, viajes