Next to the Prado Museum, we have the Royal Botanical Garden of Madrid, which has been in this location on the Paseo del Prado, since 1781. Previously (inaugurated in 1755), these gardens were at another location near the River Manzanares, in a place which today is called Puerta de Hierro.
In the early nineteenth century, this botanical garden was considered one of the most important in Europe. However, in the 80s of last century, the park was damaged by a cyclone that hit part of Madrid in 1882, and also, several acres were segregated to construct the building occupied today by the Ministry of Agriculture and where now stands “Calle de los Libreros” or also called Claudio Moyano Hill.
Since the 40s of last century, the garden was abandoned for decades, and until 1974, which was closed to perform major reforms to its restoration.
Today this garden has 5000 species of trees, and plants from all over the world, on its, 3 terraces, and greenhouse.