Ruins of the Retiro Park, Medieval Church.

Ruins of the Retiro Park, Medieval Church.

The ruins of the Retiro, also called Ruins of San Isidoro and San Pelayo, are the remains of a Romanesque church, which can be seen at the Retiro Park.

This church of the eleventh century, was originally located in the outskirts of the city of Ávila. It consisted of a single nave with wooden frame, and a semicircular apse.

Interior del Ábside
The ruins of San Pelayo, also called Ruins of San Isidoro, are the remains of a Romanesque church, which can be seen at the Retiro Park.

This church of the eleventh century, was originally located in the outskirts of the city of Ávila. It consisted of a single nave with wooden frame, and a semicircular apse.

It changed its name, and became known as the Ruins of San Isidoro, because the corpse of this saint rested here, when he was transferred from Seville to the city of Leon.

On January 20, 1896, these ruins were relocated to the City of Madrid, and were placed at the Buen Retiro Gardens, on May 9th of that same year.

Exterior del Ábside de la Ermita de San Pelayo, San Isidoro.
Exterior del Ábside de la Ermita de San Pelayo, San Isidoro.

Due to the fact, that this shrine was badly damaged, the City of Ávila ordered to demolish it in 1877, and to sell it to the public.

A citizen from Madrid, Emiliano Rotondo Nicolau, bought part of the ruins, which again, sold them in 1893 to the Royal Academy of History.

In 1897, politician Cánovas del Castillo, gave the monument to the city of Madrid, and ordered to assemble it at the Retiro Park.

Tags:, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Post Discussion

Be the first to comment “Ruins of the Retiro Park, Medieval Church.”

Quick Options
Documentation Video Tutorials Purchase Now

Color Scheme

Homepages Demo